ZENandTECH 17: Positive counterstatements
Georgia and Rene recap negative thinking, then talk about common types, and the power of positive counterstatements and ways to develop them. This is ZENandTECH!
Read on for the show notes!
Why do we have negative thoughts?
- To constantly remind outselves about some thing or situation we’re afraid we’ll forget
- Because someone used to treat us negatively and we’ve taken over their roll and become our own bully
How do you stop negative thoughts?
- Realize you’re doing it
- Journal it so you can’t pretend it didn’t happen
- Classify the types of negative thoughts you’ve had
- Write out positive counterstatements for each negative thought
Tips for figuring out positive counterstatements
- Ask yourself if the negative thought is true
- Is it always true?
- What are the chances of the negative thought becoming true? (A bad event actually happening)
- If it did come true, what’s the worst that could happen?
- A week, month, or year from now, would you even remember it happening?
- What would you say to a friend or loved one if they were the one being bullied or criticized?
- Take your journal of negative thoughts and write down a positive counterstatement to each one
- Do this for one week and compare how you feel afterwards to how you felt before
Help us help you!
Please help us out by recommending ZENandTECH to your family, friends, and co-workers! They’re just as stressed as you are, help them out!
And if you haven’t already, please leave us a rating and review in iTunes!, it really helps us reach and help more people!
Thanks everyone, you’re the best community on the web and we love having you with us!
While Georgia is a therapist, she’s not YOUR therapist. Everything said or implied on this show is for informational and entertainment purposes only. And shouldn’t be taken in any way as a replacement for proper, professional care.
Music is Peace on Earth by wellman.